PaLA Academy of Leadership Studies (PALS)
The PaLA Academy of Leadership Studies (PALS) is a cooperative initiative between PaLA and the Office of Commonwealth Libraries to offer leadership development for librarians.
PaLA has been fortunate to have so many librarians taking up leadership positions within the organization and is confident we will continue to have such good leadership emerge from our Pennsylvania librarians.
However, PaLA also recognizes that we have many librarians with great leadership potential and felt we have an opportunity to insure we continue to have good leadership by helping those librarians recognize and reach that potential. Thus, the PaLA Leadership Development Committee was formed.
The committee envisions having a multi-tier approach to leadership development. Ideally, the first tier would focus on new librarians, having worked as a librarian for less than six years. A second tier would focus on librarians who are in management positions and may need to enhance their leadership skills. There would also be a tier for those established leaders who may want to re-think their leadership roles or learn how to serve as mentors for upcoming library leaders. There will also be on line training options, 1-day workshops, and many other opportunities to develop your leadership potential. Obviously, this is a very ambitious goal and is actually several goals which will take place over several years.
The PALS program will:
- Develop a new generation of library leaders who are prepared to meet present needs and to face the challenges of tomorrow in providing high quality library services for Pennsylvanians.
- Help librarians recognize their potential as leaders.
- Provide training and mentoring support for new leaders in the library field.
- Improve library staff retention by recognizing and developing new leadership skills in Pennsylvania's emerging leaders.
- Develop leaders for PaLA and the library profession in Pennsylvania to ensure continuity and effective leadership.
- Encourage new library leaders to "payback" to their profession through service to PaLA and /or Pennsylvania libraries.
Comments from some previous PALS attendees:
"This is one of the best programs I have ever attended. Very informative, lots of relevant information, pretty good schedule (we fit a lot into a few days time and the time wasn't wasted)."
"Excellent program. I learned so much in such a short time. I have already told my director who we should send next year! The people that I met were wonderful and the experience I received while there was superb. I even ordered some of the books for my personal library."
"PALS was a different experience than I expected. I thought it would be like other business seminars that I have taken...kind of pie-in-the-sky, but not really very practical. Instead, I took away a lot of really good, useful information that would actually work in the real world."
Questions? Contact the Leadership Committee co-chairs , Stephanie Sharon and Melissa Kohl.
Like us on Facebook!