Each year, the Pennsylvania Library Association recognizes people from our state who have contributed significantly to the cause of libraries. The responsibility of the Awards Committee is to choose recipients for the awards. The awards are presented during the PaLA Annual Conference.
The deadline for submitting a nomination in 2016 is August 5.
PaLA Members can make nominations from the form, available in the Members Only area.
Awards Presented by the Association
- Distinguished Service Award: Highest award the association gives. It may be awarded annually to one person in recognition of exceptional meritorious service to libraries of the Commonwealth. Past Winners
- Certificates of Merit: These are awarded to individuals making outstanding contributions during the last five years in Pennsylvania. Past Winners
- Elected Official Award: This award may be given annually to an elected official or officials for exemplary support of library service in Pennsylvania. Past Winners
- New Librarian Honors Award: Honors a librarian who has been in the profession fewer than six years. It recognizes the originality and inventive ability of a new librarian who devises new and improved methods in library service on a statewide or local level. Past Winners
- Trustee of the Year Award: Presented to a public library trustee in recognition of outstanding leadership and service to library development at the local, system, district, and/or state level. Past Winners
- Library Support Staff Recognition Award: This award is presented to a library that has consistently encouraged and supported participation in career development activities, particularly those of PaLA for the support staff in Pennsylvania libraries. Nominations should be in the form of a statement of the library’s activities. Past Winners
A little clarification on this award: It is presented to a library not to a staff member. Does your library provide you with opportunities to develop your library skills through continuing education opportunities? Does your library allow you to attend PaLA conferences and Chapter Meetings as a Support Staff member? Does your library provide you with opportunities to take classes on library related activities or in areas which you can use on the job? Then tell us how that support helps you on your job and give a little recognition to your library.
- PaLA President's Award: Recognizes unique achievements by an individual, group or organization in support of libraries and library services in the state of Pennsylvania. This award is only given upon recommendation of the President and the Awards Committee with the approval of the Board of Directors. Past Winners