Who are Personal Members?
Personal Members of PaLA are individuals who support libraries through membership in PaLA.
- PaLA is the only association in Pennsylvania that advocates for all types of libraries - public, academic, school and special - and provides a voice for Pennsylvania's librarians, support staff, trustees and friends
- Sponsorship of state legislative activities and participation in national efforts in cooperation with other state and national library organizations
- Stay informed about state and federal library issues with electronic issues of the PaLA Bulletin (4 issues a year)
- A partner in the fight against censorship
- Award programs honoring outstanding library service
- Support for library service to children and older adults
- Promotion of lifelong learning and literacy
- Promotion of Pennsylvania libraries through association activities and exhibits at state and national conferences
- Connect with a network of colleagues who will provide valuable assistance in professional development
- Access to the online membership directory of colleagues working in all types of libraries across Pennsylvania
- 24-hour jobline for employment listings
- Numerous networking opportunities to meet with peers and expand the circle of valuable library contacts through state, regional and local activities
- Access to our Members Only section of the web site
- Annual state conference, chapter meetings and other professional development and educational opportunties in cooperation with other library organizations and the Office of Commonwealth Libraries
- The PaLA Bulletin, which provides librarians with opportunities to be published
- Input about speakers and topics through their local chapter, divisions and round tables
- Opportunities to develop leadership skills
Register online as a Personal Member
- Awards, scholarships and continuing education grants
- Education and information sharing for library support staff
- Earn ALA accredited MLS degree online through Drexel University and receive a 20% tuition discount
Individual membership rates:
Individual membership dues are determined by membership type.
- Personal Regular: Dues are calculated according to Annual Gross Salary at $3 for each $1,000 of salary, with a minimum of $30 and a maximum of $185. For example, an individual who earns $30,000 annually will make a dues investment of $90 ($30 x $3). This membership category is for library staff, including professional, paraprofessional and technology-related positions. Your membership amount will be calculated from your gross salary amount on the checkout form.
- Personal Student Member: Dues are $30. This membership category is for full-time students taking a minimum of 12 credits per semester; Students joining with PaLA/ALA Joint Membership should not use this form, rather visit the ALA web site.
- Personal Trustee Member: Dues are $30. Trustee Membership is available to trustees currently serving on a library board.
- Personal Lay Member: Dues are $30. Lay Memberships are open to anyone who is interested and supportive of Pennsylvania Libraries including friends of libraries groups, or others not employed in a library related position.
- Personal Retired Member: Dues are $30. This membership category is for retired persons who are interested and supportive of Pennsylvania Libraries.
- Continuing Retired Member: No charge for membership. This membership category is for retired persons who held PaLA membership for a minimum of 25 continuous years at the time of retirement. You must contact the office to become a continuing retired member.
Register online as a Personal Member now!
PaLA membership dues and donations may be tax deductible as we are a registered 501(c)(3) organization. Please consult your tax advisor.
Find out more!