Return on Investment (ROI) Materials
The Taxpayer Return-on-Investment (ROI) in Pennsylvania Public Libraries study was commissioned by the PA Department of Education's Office of Commonwealth Libraries, in collaboration with the PA Library Association, to determine the economic benefit of public libraries in Pennsylvania.
- PA's 630 library outlets, serving 12 million Pennsylvanians, provide a return on investment of $5.50 in benefits for every $1 of tax support
- If we didn't have public libraries, the economic loss would amount to $1.34 billion annually
- Of 9.1 million adults in PA, 51.6 percent visited a public library in person during a year's time, 13.2 percent connected with one online
- In all, public libraries in PA reported 40.8 million in-person visits in the year preceding the study
Local Library Action Kit Materials:
Commonwealth Libraries ROI website:
* these documents were removed due to the timely nature of their content. Contact PaLA staff if you need copies.
Page updated June 1, 2013