About the Conference:
Founded in 1901, the Pennsylvania Library Association (PaLA) is the longest standing professional library organization serving all types of libraries throughout the Commonwealth. The PaLA Annual Conference provides the library community a variety of continuing education, supplier resources and networking opportunities.
Typical attendance of nearly 600 library practitioners, attendance consists of 75% from public libraries, 20% from academic libraries and the remaining 5% from corporate, medical, or government libraries or other affiliations in the library community.
The 2020 Conference, Mountains of Possibilities will take place October 18 - 21, 2020 at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions located in the beautiful Pocono Mountains and offering one of the nation's largest indoor water parks! So, bring the family and combine business and pleasure!
Call for Presenters!
The 2020 conference will offer more than sixty educational sessions on topics of interest for the library community. (Requested Topics)
If you are an expert on a topic that you feel will be of interest to this group, we invite you to submit a session proposal!
Submission & Decision Timeline
- Program proposals will be accepted through 12 PM (Noon, EST) March 16, 2020.
- Review and evaluation of submissions will take place March 17 - 31.
- Selection and Scheduling of accepted proposals will take place April 1 - 10.
- Notification of acceptance will begin April 15.
- Presenter confirmation of program acceptance due by April 30.
Presenter Registration & Compensation
- Please note that we value speakers who are members of the Pennsylvania library community, however unless funded by an outside source, we are not able to offer speaking fees or reimbursement of expenses for this group.*
- With required registration for PA library professionals* on the day of their presentation, presenters can take part in networking opportunities and receive inspiration from other library leaders during conference sessions.
- Discounted registration fee. (Nonmember presenters may register at the member rate.)
*Rule does not apply for out of state presenters or those working outside the library field.
PaLA Conference presenters are afforded the following benefits:
- Establishment as an expert in the field.
- The potential for future speaking engagements with a pending invitation to join PaLA's speakers bureau. (Invitation based on favorable session evaluations)
- Possible publication opportunities for your abstract or presentation.
- Recognition of your presentation to be included in the conference registration brochure and in the final conference program book. Both publications will also be available on the PaLA website.
- The satisfaction of sharing your expertise with the PA library community and improving library service in the Commonwealth.
Session Evaluation Criteria
The charge of the Conference Program Committee is to analyze, design and develop the educational content for PaLA's Annual Conference. Such content must address the educational needs and interests of the Pennsylvania library community.
- Session objectives are measurable, achievable and provides an opportunity for our members to grow as professionals.
- Presenter appears qualified to lead the session.
- Presenter is able to make a firm commitment to be available.
- Speaker Fee (if requested) is within conference budget parameters.
- For session proposals on similar topics, peer-to-peer presenters, who are PaLA members, are preferred over nonmembers.
We receive many more proposals than the program schedule can accommodate. Please do not be discouraged if your proposal is not selected. We do multiple events, and may be able to include your presentation as a poster session or at a regional chapter workshop.
- All submissions must be made via the online proposal form. (See Link below)
- To help with submission planning, a PDF of the proposal form is available here.
- Questions? Contact our Meeting Manager, Kim Snyder Wise.
Submit A Proposal Now!