At this time, plans are moving forward for the PaLA Conference to take place October 18 - 21 at Kalahari Resort in the Pocono Mountains. In order to maintain a high level of educational content, we are encouraging the submission of session proposals.
Please note, however, that submission of a session proposal does not guarantee acceptance, nor does it require commitment to attend and present, as that will be confirmed at a later date. We will continue to monitor CDC guidelines regarding COVID-19 and will keep the safety and well-being of all conference participants in the forefront for any future decisions regarding the event.
We appreciate your understanding and dedication to Pennsylvania libraries!
If you are an expert on a topic that could be of interest to the Pennsylvania library community, we invite you to submit a session proposal!
(Requested Topics from past attendees)
- All submissions must be made via the online proposal form. (See Link below)
- To assist with submission planning, a PDF of the proposal form is available here.
Submit A Proposal Now!
Hurry, the deadline to submit is 12 p.m. EST, April 1.
NOTE: The "Call for Posters/Lightning Talks" will go out on April 2, so if your presentation is in the format of a poster or lightning talk, we ask that you hold your submission until that call goes out.
The PaLA Annual Conference
provides the library community a variety of continuing education,
supplier resources and networking opportunities. The typical
attendance of nearly 600 library practitioners includes approximately
75% from public libraries, 20% from academic libraries and the remaining
5% from corporate, medical, or government libraries or other
affiliations in the library community.
The 2020 Conference, Mountains of Possibilities will take place October 18 - 21, 2020 at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
located in the beautiful Pocono Mountains and offering one of the
nation's largest indoor water parks! So, bring the family and combine
business and pleasure!
PaLA Conference presenters are afforded the following benefits:
- Establishment as an expert in the field.
- The potential for future speaking engagements with a pending invitation to join PaLA's speakers bureau. (Invitation based on favorable session evaluations)
- Possible publication opportunities for your abstract or presentation.
- Recognition of your
presentation to be included in the conference registration brochure and
in the final conference program book. Both publications will also be
available on the PaLA website.
- The satisfaction of sharing your expertise with the PA library community and improving library service in the Commonwealth.
Presenter Registration & Compensation
- Please note that we
value speakers who are members of the Pennsylvania library community,
however unless funded by an outside source, we are not able to offer
speaking fees or reimbursement of expenses for this group.*
- With required registration for PA library professionals* on the day of their presentation, presenters
can take part in networking opportunities and receive inspiration
from other library leaders during conference sessions.
- Discounted registration fee. (Nonmember presenters may register at the member rate.)
*Rule does not apply for out of state presenters or those working outside the library field. Registration fees
Submission & Decision Timeline
- Program proposals will be accepted through 12 PM (Noon, EST) April 1, 2020.
- Review and selection of submissions will take place April 1 - 14.
- Notification of acceptance will begin April 15.
- Presenter confirmation of program acceptance due by May 15.
Session Evaluation Criteria
The charge of the Conference Program Committee is to analyze, design and develop the educational content for PaLA's Annual Conference. Such content must address the educational needs and interests of the Pennsylvania library community.
- Session objectives are measurable, achievable and provides an opportunity for our members to grow as professionals.
- Presenter appears qualified to lead the session.
- Presenter is able to make a firm commitment to be available.
- Speaker Fee (if requested) is within conference budget parameters.
- For session proposals on similar topics, peer-to-peer presenters, who are PaLA members, are preferred over nonmembers.
We receive many more proposals than the program schedule can accommodate. Please do not be discouraged if your proposal is not selected. We do multiple events, and may be able to include your presentation as a poster session or at a regional chapter workshop.
The submission deadline has been extended until Wednesday, April 1, 12 PM (EST)
Submit A Proposal Now!